Monday, April 27, 2015

Flipping leadership

Flipping the classroom is an interesting topic to me. It’s very close to my heart because it gives the responsibility of learning to the students. I believe that flipping the classroom is an equalizer for disadvantage students. What I mean by that is that no matter what background a student comes from, if that student takes responsibility for his or her learning she or he will improve. I am still in the beginning stages of flipping my classroom, however I have had students to tell me how that wanted to show me that they have meet the learning targets. By flipping the classroom I have only been concerned with teaching process instead of products, and teaching the learning targets. Student take responsibility to meet the learning target and the process to achieve the learning target. After reading Flipping Leadership Doesn’t Mean Reinventing the Wheel by Peter M. DeWitt it made sense to me to teach the process and the learning target. DeWitt mentioned that “in an effective flipped classroom model, learning intentions are clear, students can see where they are going, and the learning process is clear to everyone involved.” When students are able to anticipate the next step I observed the desired learning outcome is more achievable. In our school we talk about frontloading information, so that we can have the high expectations. Peter DeWitt says that leaders and teachers should use technology as a tool to frontload information for the staff meeting so that teachers are not wasting so much time with side bar conversations. When the information in front loaded now it’s realistic for leaders to have higher expectation. Prior to our last staff meeting our principal sent some research for the staff to read about school improvement. When we got to the staff meeting we had rich conversation about the research.  

No comments:

Post a Comment